It’s hard to believe it’s that time again: Black Friday.
The phrase itself conjures images of crowds in the pre-dawn light ready to storm the local Best Buy — trampling one another to get the best deal on a flat screen TV. But, even the most cynical among us know a bargain when we see one. So, whether you’re heading to the mall or going online, here’s a list of items that traditionally have the best markdowns…
Top Seller Trends on Black Friday
Shop: Best Buy, Target, Walmart, JCPenney, GameStop, Amazon, Apple, Samsung, B&H Photo Video, GameStop, Microsoft, Bose, and more
- 4K and 8K Hi-Def TV’s will be by far the biggest sellers and often where you’ll find the best Black Friday discounts
- Streaming. With more video streaming choices than one person can watch, AppleTV, Roku, Amazon Fire, and Google Chromecast are all affordable streaming devices for the cord-cutter on your holiday list
- Networking devices. While routers and modems are very exciting, network repeater or extenders can be good gifts for a friend with spotty wifi.
- Smartphones. As always, there are new phones from Apple and Samsung with deals to be found. Discerning Android users will likely to find even better deals from the competition.
- Smart watches. Apple Watch Series 4 may be the biggest selling item of this holiday season, so don’t expect to find it discounted. Other smart watches and fitness trackers you may find on sale are from Fitbit, Samsung, Lenovo, Garmin, LG, and Fossil Group.
- Smart speakers. With new entries from Apple and upgrades from Amazon, smart speakers are expected to be among the most popular gifts again this season.
- Headphones. Over-ear, in-ear, noise-cancelling, wireless — with many new entries for the holidays in every price range from Apple, Bose, Beats, Microsoft, Sennheiser and more, headphones are sure to be big sellers.
- Smart home tech. The smart home is gaining in popularity as the cost of LED bulbs has dropped. A wide range of lighting fixtures and bulb arrays are available from Philips, Cree, GE, and others. Most are wifi-enabled and capable of producing thousands of colors. Other “smart” items include: switches, outlets, thermostats, doorbells, security systems, and more.
- Gaming. Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation, Oculus Video Games, DVDs & Blu-Ray discs.
- Other electronics where you’re likely to find some deep discounts include: Wireless chargers, tablets, laptops, desktops, printers, cameras, Bluetooth speakers, and turntables.
Other categories where you’re likely to find the best deals on Black Friday
- Large & smart Appliances. Washers, dryers, and refrigerators can often be found at up to 40% off. Shop: Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, Sears, Walmart
- Smaller appliances. Instant Pots, espresso & coffee makers, mixers, blenders, toasters, knives, etc. Shop: Kohl’s, Bed Bath and Beyond, Macy’s
- Spring fashions. All the spring fashions are out, so look for good discounts which may even get better as you get closer to the holidays. Shop: Macy’s, Kohl’s, JCPenney, Neiman Marcus, Ann Taylor, Bloomingdales
- Travel deals. Check travel apps, Kayak, TripAdvisor, Trivago, and the major airline websites for great vacation deals on travel and hotels. Even Airbnb and Uber offer Black Friday deals.
You’ll find better deals later in the season or next year on these items
- Christmas decorations
- Outdoor furniture
- Indoor furniture
- Winter clothing
To make the most of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, do your research. Comparison shop in advance. Most online retailers preview the deals they’ll be offering well in advance. You may even find early deals and deals starting on Thanksgiving Day.
Lastly, don’t forget Small Business Saturday. You’re likely to find some great gift ideas and discounts in town.