In a world of more than 7.5 billion people, it’s only natural that many of us focus on big dreams—after all, how else can we make a noticeable impact? There’s something to be said, however, for small random acts of kindness.
The concept behind random acts of kindness is similar to any goal-setting scenario—each small action eventually adds up to achieving one huge goal. Every small act of kindness creates a ripple effect, which can slowly shift the perspective of the countless individuals who end up in this chain of good will.
The best part? You can start changing the world right now. Here are 20 random acts of kindness that you can do on your own, or with your entire family.
1. Hold a door open for someone
2. If you see an expired (or about-to-be-expired) parking meter, put a few quarters in it
3. Tuck a person’s shirt tag in
4. Give a genuine compliment
5. Write a thank you note
6. Leave your waitress a generous tip
7. Ask an older person about their past
8. Smile at a stranger
9. Pay off someone’s layaway at a store
10. Bring in a yummy snack for your coworkers
11. Cook dinner for your friend that just had a baby
12. Remember that teacher who changed your life? Send them an email or letter to say thank you.
13. Pay for the order of the person behind you in a drive-thru
14. Write a positive message on a sticky note and leave it on the mirror of a public restroom.
15. Don’t just give a homeless person your spare change—stop and have a conversation with them.
16. Give up your seat to someone when you’re riding public transportation
17. Call your parents, just to say hi.
18. Leave a basket of drinks and snacks out for postal/delivery workers who are clocking major overtime during the holiday season
19. Shovel your elderly neighbor’s driveway after it snows
20. Let someone cut you in line at the grocery store
This list of 20 random acts of kindness should be just the beginning for you. There are so many ways to spread happiness, and once you start making a point to do this regularly, it’ll just become second nature. Now get out there and make someone happy!