Done with renting? Ready to make a move to your very first home? Use this checklist to ensure your move goes as smoothly as possible.
Prior to packing
- Complete a change of address form and submit to the USPS no less than two weeks prior to your move.
- If utilities were not included in your rent, notify any providers of your move and set up a cut-off date.
- Schedule your move as soon as you have your closing date
- Hire professional movers. Call at least two or three companies for quotes and availability and ask for references.
- Rent a moving van if you decide to handle the heavy lifting by yourself
- Purchase moving insurance from the professional mover or rental company
- Discard, donate, sell, or recycle anything you no longer want or need
- Packing tape
- Boxes (of all sizes)
- Bubble wrap
- Wrapping paper
- Blankets for wrapping and protecting larger fragile items (glass cabinets, TV, etc.)
- Photos taken of any TV, stereo, computer, or other complicated component set up
- Ziploc bags for hardware storage
Packing to move
- Valuable items carefully wrapped and marked as “fragile”
- Boxes labeled by room and numbered
- Clothing packed for easy access while unpacking and organizing your new home
- Items you may need right away as you unpack, like medications, toiletries, and cleaning supplies
- Tools for assembling and wall mounting
The day before your move
- Make sure your apartment is clean and ready for the landlord’s inspection
- Give your landlord your new address so he or she can mail you your security deposit
Taking the time to properly plan and prepare can make moving into your first home easier and more enjoyable. Why stress when you should be celebrating? Congratulations!